Addressing Lateral Violence in the Workplace
This training focuses on how colonization, oppression, intergenerational trauma, racism and discrimination contribute to experiences of lateral violence. Specifically, we will explore how lateral violence affects Indigenous people, how it shows up in the workplace, why and where it happens.
March 1st, 2023 | 8:30am-4:00pm | In-person at Mediation Services
What is Lateral Violence?
When cross cultural conflict is present, what is the difference between workplace bullying and lateral violence? This presentation looks at abuse against indigenous people in the workplace to build safer, informed, and inclusive spaces.
Many things contribute to the abuse cycle, including colonization, oppression, intergenerational trauma, racism, and discrimination.
How does Lateral Violence affect Indigenous people? What are the behaviours linked to Lateral Violence? Where does Lateral Violence happen? Why does Lateral Violence happen?
- Adopt a decolonized approach to lateral violence in the workplace.
- Describe the basic characteristics of lateral violence.
- Identify specific behaviours that result in laterally violent behaviour.
- Examine why we engage in lateral violence and where this behaviour has been learned.
- Explore how lateral violence has affected each individual in their communities and workplaces.
- Establish healthy boundaries, identify lateral violence cycles, and heal from them.
- Redirect lateral violence to lateral kindness.